Two Poems by Helen Crawford









In the Longitudinal Dark 
    
Like Russian dolls of moss and pine, the garden flourishes, boundless, endless. Trails of fireflies shoulder through a sea of undulating grass, blue-green algae coloured and bathed in candlelight yellow. There is danger here. All bad things come out of the head. One-horned beasts in the longitudinal dark,  beneath the bridge between cerebral hemispheres. I search for you in the firefly light, through the algal sea, across barren wastes of vermilion sand, between bars of blackened iron and in the streets of the home that isn’t my home. I rip out the knotted sinew of my hands, to strangle any throat that isn’t yours. When I find you, you throw crumbs at my feet and let the rats devour me.



Centrifugal

Whether crouched among pigeons in a sun-filled square or shivering beneath an umbrella in the pouring rain with grit in our shoes, I am most happy when by your side. Together we watched phantom hounds dash in circles around a fog-bound lighthouse and our feet sank into the ooze of oil-soaked sand as we hunted for rock pools, but the only pools we found darling were made of vomit as we danced our way arm in arm back to the station after we were served chips with blue-flecked cheddar and the sea air made you crave cigarettes. I watched your cheeks hollow over the green straw as we sucked on blackcurrant juice, and held steaming mugs of malted drinks against our mouths, and reached across red gingham to touch hands in a 1950’s drug store café. We sipped Malibu and coke to the tune of strummed guitars, and we devoured fajitas, curries, steak and shakes, cocooned in red blankets beneath a huge oak whose branches shed their dead into our cocktails to mix with the mint leaves in the yellow lantern light. We skipped stones on a pebbled beach, and I watched your thin arms whip through the salt breeze. I kissed the nape of your tousled head where I slept so peacefully, and held your warmth against me. 







 


Helen Crawford  is a twenty four years English poetess. She is an  MA student at the University of Nottingham. She has been a writer in whole life and has been particularly drawn to writing prose poems as I find they just fit my.