A Fasting Heart by Rasha Assayed Ahmed


This is my heart that fasten for all things except for you, so take it. I have come to you with my love and my senses are fast about the universe, but it keeps you inside like the the royal fragrance that does not vanish and the white musk mixes with it. So you are still mixing my spirit, and your perfume is applied to his riotous talk in my veins. Who said that fasting made the poem fast by thinking about you? I go around the corners of the universe in the cities of the spring of my legendary sections, but I find you wherever I walked in the streets of elegant cities and the poem overwhelmed you all the time
I forget the spring of cities and their distress when I am alone to hear you with all happiness. Have you ever thought about how a woman can love turn her into a flying phoenix in the universe, where she does whatever she wants with a girl's heart of joy?
In your absence, the phoenix becomes a Syrian dove who knows nothing but a cooing perfumed with nostalgic play for an old flute. The heart of the inner poetess is the one who writes, but I am reading  these lines with stange straying.




Translated from Arabic By Anwer Ghani


Rasha Assayed Ahmed is an award-winning Syrian poetess and she is a  founding member of the Tajdeed Literary Institute and a member of the International Prose Poetry Society. Her name appeared in Tajdeed literary magazine and Arcs magazine for prose poetry. Rasha is the author of many poetry collections and she won Tajdeed award for prose poetry.