The Eid Did Not Pass; By Omar Fahed Haidar





The Eid Did Not Pass 
Omar Fahed Haidar


I told my mother that I forgot my father's details. His face was sparkling with cleverness. My front threw all the details folded towards the sky. She told me about a sea passing in our fields planting love in us. It soured like the winter's wine. He shines in the morning and evening. The blueness of his eyes is our clear skies, and how it becomes a spring. Winter and water moisten the veins and cure the sick and go a long way in us. When he died, my tears dried, my soul envied you. I went into a deep sleep. I lived for ages regurgitating my concern, sadness and melancholy. I apostrophize the beautiful god. He slept to let the winter stay a home wiping everybody's tears, sewing the Eid suit for all crowds.
The Eid did not pass by my home as if it occupies my attention, making me forget that the Eid came but the dears did not come with it. They came dead for the sake of the home as if it is a dream passing like time.
My mother said: "I am about to forget your details." Have these women changed your details? Have your hearts been hardened? I forgot all your shapes as if my heart had rebelled because you became the shape of life. It is the war which destroyed all the details in us, even the fields of our ears. We write our dates stamped with blood; kill, hate, death and life.The Eid did not pass by.We felt ecstasy with death. All dams towards us were destroyed, even the trains got lost and the hearts had no way to the beloved.




Translated from Arabic by Nahed Al-Hereh






  


Omar Fahed Haidar  is a Syrian poet and lawyer. Omer be born in Tertus in 1962.His name appeared in many Arabic literary magazines as Tajdded. He is the author of " Failed Poems" from Meslon- Damascus 1985 and " The Harp of the Dream" from Alersat house- Allathyqya.