Whenever I Call You, My throat Gets Perfumed



  Kareem Abdullah



This ether bears the perfume of your images, blossoming alone in my eyes' night, raining with abundant dreams, in whose new springs swim the voices of my blooming youth. How could I collect the sprinkle of your eyes while these stars beseech for washing their darkness by the blueness of your shores. Flower coronas stand every morning at your window, waiting the moment you get up to grant them the perfume. Flocks of birds land down on your table, hoping that crumbs of your voice would make them sing very softly. Even your clothes in their cupboard are impatiently waiting your soft fingers to caress them so that they dance playfully and recover their glittering. Only your name uncovers me, since before I call you my throat gets perfumed, its strings play the symphony of this love, and all the women who went into my bosom through the hole of a needle, went out with exhalation, lamenting their bad luck. Only you swing back and forth by my veins, and so increase the pulse of my wordbooks, in order to write you an eternal poem. Oh, my fingers, whenever they touch the shyness of dew in your cheeks, it sprouts as a wail defying your crazy quake; you rain heavily on me, every night, purify me of my savagery, flap over my rivers with the wings of longing, and go deep into my cities 



Translated by Fareed Ghanem

Kareem Abdullah (b. 1962 )
Kareem Abdulah , is an Iraqi poet, born in Baghdad in  1962 . His name appeared in many important arabic literary magazine and in Tajdeed magazine, an Arabic prose poem magazine. He has many poetry collections in Arabic.