The Horror

 A'adel Kassem


Once, at a winter night, I was raving out of fever, seeing a crowd of ordinary people, heavily armed by their swords and thick beards, cutting the way of passers-by in the city alleys, breaking through into clay houses emptied of their inhabitants. I was running, despite my old age, at remote huts, fearful of their valor. I recalled that I didn't take my sons and wife with me. When I decided to go back, I saw a very old seed astonishly laughing at my naivety. This, because there were no door nor windows, but columns of nudes, above their heads colored cranes wavering, where inscribers with white robes, azure skies and charming music, maybe The Requiem Mass*, and a clamour similar to the voice of mob, mixed with artillery echoes، while I've lost the way amidst fever and horror.




* Translated from Arabic by Fareed Ghanem. 


A'adel Kassem (b. 1963)


A'adel Kassem is an Iraqi poet and artist, and a co-founder  'Tajdid' literary group. He was born in  Baghda in 1963. He has published several  poetiry collections: 'Condensed Light's' , '1980's',  'Poems of Waiting' and 'Cloudy Spaces'. His name appeared in most iraqi important literary magazine.